View Single Post

Old 05-28-2014, 05:49 PM

Liked 383 Times in 213 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by southchatham View Post
I am surprised to see less than 1 year old guns looking like that. I have a black 438 that shows no signs of the finish wearing off. I do not baby it either. I've only used breakfree on all my guns. It was good enough for my m16 so I figure it's good enough for my personal guns. Maybe that's why my 438 still looks good. If it does wear i'm not going to worry though. I like battle scars since I put my guns to work. I'm not a collector and my guns each have a job to do.

The bad thing though is if you decide to sell, that wear will kill your resale value.
I think it has a lot to do with what part of the country you live in. I live on the Gulf Coast (15 miles as the crow flies), and I believe the salt air and humidity are really bad for those clear coated 642s. I had (emphasis: "had") one that corroded up in about five months.....

I prefer stainless guns, which will show rust here too, if not cared for, but they don't make Model 60s in 38 Special anymore. I prefer the all steel versions of the J-frames, but I don't want or need a 357 mag in them. I'm very OK with the 38 Special steel J-frames........