View Single Post

Old 05-29-2014, 06:00 AM
US Veteran

Liked 19,398 Times in 6,961 Posts

Sorry guys! I think this thread is merely an excuse to show off our favorite guns. It isn't a discussion of accuracy at all. Here's why I think so:
Any well built revolver - which includes most if not all S&W examples - will be "accurate" in the hands of an accurate shooter. It is shooting technique and ammunition choice that make for better or worse accuracy, much more than it is the gun (unless, of course, something is inherently wrong with the gun due to poor workmanship or subsequent incident). I can shoot my 1946, 5" .38 M&P into just as tight of groups as I can my 1952 5" Combat Masterpiece. It just takes physical discipline and a conscious adjustment to the different sights.
An example from the real world. About a year ago, I had my 16 year old grandson out at the range with me. He was shooting one of my rifles and fired a group of 5 rounds at 100 yards that maybe could have been covered with a pie plate. He got up from the bench and said something like, "I think the scope needs to be adjusted." I sat down at the bench and fired 5 rounds of the same ammunition. We went down range and you could cover the 5 holes with a silver dollar. He said, "I guess there's nothing wrong with the scope setting."
SWCA #2475, SWHF #318