View Single Post

Old 05-30-2014, 03:31 PM

Liked 528 Times in 331 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yojimbo78 View Post
I have a 22/32 with serial 138471, nothing on the wooden butt - all looks original except front sight blade was replaced. Would like to know its authenticity and value.
Yojimbo78,

First of all...Welcome to the Forum!!

Secondly...Quite a First Posting you've made!! Reason being...Not only have you acquired one from the First Production Run of these .22/32 Heavy Frame Target Revolvers produced...But it is indeed one of the 294 shipped to Philip Bekeart's Shop in 1911!! Yours being shipped on June 22nd,1911 in the 2nd Order of 60 Revolvers shipped to him...Exc. Acquisition!!

Now as to why there isn't a No. stamped on the Base of the Grip, I'd venture to say they were most likely changed out sometime in the past given there should be one indicating which Revolver this was in order of assembly...Being what the Stock No. indicates!! Example...Should it have No. 707 stamped there as mine does...This would indicate it was the 707th one of these Revolvers assembled!!

It also looks to be in excellent condition which leads me to asking this question!! It's hard to see in the Photo...But do I see a Diamond Stamp just forward of the Serial No. on the Barrel Flat?? If so, you might want to remove the Grips & look to see if there is a Date Code stamped on the Left side of the Frame looking something like this...(10.22)...or the like!!

Also look to see if there is a Star stamped alongside the Serial No. on the Forestrap which would at least indicate it was returned to S&W at one time or another for some sort of Service Work...Possibly a Refinish given the condition it looks to exhibit!! Not saying it was...But certainly possible & could also explain the reason why there isn't a No. stamped on the Grips as they may have been replaced!!

And last of all...What leads you to believe the Frt. Sight Blade has been replaced because it looks Correct from what I can see??

Let us know your findings concerning what I've asked & we'll continue on from there!! Again...A Very Nice Acquisition!!

Last edited by Masterpiece; 05-30-2014 at 04:14 PM. Reason: Add'l Info!!
The Following 3 Users Like Post: