View Single Post

Old 06-01-2014, 05:05 PM

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by opoefc View Post
I disagree with Armyphotog's post that it is asking for trouble to shoot .32 ACP rounds in a Model 1913 S&W .35 auto. I have fired 1,000s or rounds of .32 cartridges in these .35 autos and never had a problem.
You must have been a very wealthy man to be able to afford to shoot "thousands" of rounds of .32 ACP.

The reason that shooting .32 ACP in a .35 is not a good idea is that the .35 relies on a very light recoiling bolt, supposedly slowed down by a very heavy spring, thus having no significant mass to counteract the forces of recoil other than that spring. A heavy spring does nothing to actually counteract the recoiling forces; It's only function is to store kinetic energy to return that bolt to battery. A person versed in physics could probably explain it better than I, but that's the general gist of the matter. If you did, in fact, fire "thousands" of rounds as you state, my guess is that you have battered that poor little gun into oblivion.

I have both .35s and .32s, and the .32 is a competely different design. In fact, I don't think any significant parts interchange, and certainly not the barrels. In the case of the .32, the recoiling mass includes not only the breechblock, but the forward slide assembly as well coupled to a rather stiff recoil spring.

I don't know where you got the idea that the barrels were the same, but it's certainly not the case.

At any case, to use a simple analogy, firing .32 ACP in a .35 is akin to firing 9mm Parabellum in a 9mm Glisenti.

I would advise anyone who wants to shoot their .35 that they handload .32 auto with a reduced load.

The .30 and .380 pistols were only experimentals and never made it into production.