View Single Post

Old 06-24-2014, 10:07 AM
US Veteran

Liked 4,882 Times in 2,025 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by elpac3 View Post
Not sure if this is the answer or not but - - I have been having some issues with front sight clarity recently. Have started using cheaters to read as the eyes are geting old and harder to focus.

I have used the carbide lamp to blacken the sights which helped some but the front sight is still fuzzy and I can't seem to geta good, clean sight picture. Someone at the club sugggested using a pin hole clip on for the shooting glasses. Made one out of paper stuck to the shooting glasses to see if it helped and it did make a difference. "Back in the day" you used to see a number of BE shooters with the pin hole peep attached to their shooting glasses for front sight clarity issues. Looked for one in the shooting supply sites. The ones I found were suction cup stick-ons, expensive and had some poor user reviews.

Decided to go the cheap and make my own. Bought a $6, 3x eye loupe on E-bay. Removed the lens and cut down the bottom of a plastic 35mm film can to fit the loupe. Dilled a .077" hole in the center of the insert and clipped it to the shooting glasses. Does the job and really helps with the front sight clarity.
While this method works for Bullseye shooting, don't think you want this on Steel Challenge. The idea is to quickly move from one target to the other. When I use iron sights, I have a special prescription pair that I use for that, my weak side eye is my normal no line trifocal prescription but my strong side is only middle distance prescription so I can focus on the front sight. I shoot with both eyes open so this works for me. Normally I shoot Open class so I use my normal prescription because the dot is in sharp focus with my distance prescription. (I think the optics fool the eye into thinking the dot is at target distance, at least that what it seems like to me).