View Single Post

Old 06-26-2014, 07:29 PM

Liked 19 Times in 18 Posts
Default Heavyweights????

Can anyone explain why it seems everyone is taking one of the lightest 308 AR's available and turning them into 12.5 - 14 lb heavyweights. I purchased my M&P10 as a hunting tool, & I value the fact it has significantly lighter weight than most 308 ARs. Yeah, I took off the factory furniture, and I substituted lightweight Magpul forend, MOE grip, & MOE buttstock. For optics, I'm utilizing a lightweight set of Nikon P223 rings, and an ultra-light Leupold 2-7x scope. Next, I took off the heavyweight S&W flash hider & replaced it with a super lightweight Manticore muzzle break. With a loaded 5 round mod'ed magazine from MagPul, my hunting rifle comes in at just a hair under 9 lbs. It now has more manageable recoil and faster follow-up shots when compared to my other big game rifles. And, after working up good handloads for it; a tennis ball is in real trouble at anything less than 300 yrds. Hitting an antelope killzone at 400yrds is a "piece of cake". Keeping a tennis ball bouncing for five consecutive rounds is a real challenge, & a hoot at the end of a day on the range. Obviously, This thing will be a genuine kick in the pants on my next pronghorn hunt in the NW Colo. or Wyoming.

I just don't get the attraction of all the heavyweights being built-up today. If I wanted an ultra accurate bench or long range varmint gun, I'd opt for a target bolt action. If I wanted an ultra-light sheep hunting rig, I go for one of the new scout carbines. Since I wanted a big bore hunting semi-auto that handles like my AR-15, I opted for the M&P10. By keeping the M&P10's natural weight down, it does just that. Guess an old Survivor like me is just tuned-in to a different kind of music. Some young guys like HeavyMetal & the occasional Hip Hop. Old 'Nam Farts like me; we like a little Sonny & Cher with a bit of Springsteen or Simon & Garfunkel mixed in! Guess I just answered my own question; "When it comes to either hunting, or dealing with Troubled Waters, I'll be able to say: I'm carryin' a sweet tune with me. And I'll be singin': I Got You, Babe!"
The Following User Likes This Post: