View Single Post

Old 07-02-2014, 11:24 PM

Liked 248 Times in 127 Posts

My brother has two of the Apache Black models. They were the first real guns that I had ever shot. I was only 7 yrs old the first time. My brother-in-law has one of the 1976 commemorative Mowhawk Brown models, in mint condition. My 66, a Black Diamond, was the first gun of any kind that I owned. Other than BB/pellet guns, that is.
Mine was, and still is, extremely accurate. I recently won a 22lr wood walk at my local club with it. Beating out guys with optics and some even had Volquartsen and TC rifles.
I know, it's not the gun, it's the shooter that makes for winning scores. But it was nice to best some of those high end guns with my "plastic" rifle.
I have always kept my eye on these, when they showed up used. Usually with poor condition stocks, and worse. They have typically run on the high end for "cheap" 22's. They were $300-$400 when I did see them. Sometimes more.

A few months ago, I found three of the Mohawk Brown rifles at a Gander Mountain. Two were beat pretty badly, as expected. The third however, was almost perfect! One very light scratch on the left side of the butt stock.
I ask, "how much are these?" The guy says $250.
I ask "are all three $250 each?" He says yes. (I suspect that the fact that 22lr ammo is so scarce, and has been for far too long, that the prices might be falling for all kinds of 22 guns). Well, it didn't take me long on that decision. That very nice one came home with me. A few days later, I sighted it in at 50', then at 50yds. It's a tack driver! From a bench, rested on foam blocks, I was able to get .75"-1.0" groups, using the open sights. I was very impressed, but not too terribly surprised, as my original 66 was always that good.
Now, I'm trying to convince a friend of mine that I would take really good care of his Model 11 Nylon, bolt action, clip fed.
If he is willing to let it go that is.
Great guns!

Last edited by Ceapea; 07-02-2014 at 11:34 PM.