View Single Post

Old 07-08-2014, 11:02 AM
Absent Comrade

Liked 7,548 Times in 2,081 Posts
Default Hidden Danger

While a student at the S&W Academy, I was called upon to try to disassemble a Glock .40 kaboom where the owner alleged was caused by S&W ammunition. At the time, I was a certified Glock armorer.

Once we got it apart, we discovered the cause of the kaboom: the owner was using warm hand loads with all-lead bullets, thoroughly fouling the bore. He thought he could clean out the lead by then firing some jacketed ammo. The leading provided sufficient resistance to raise pressures with the result that the gun blew up. The Shield did not exist at the time but I'm sure that any polymer-frame handgun would have failed. Also, the Glock has polygonal rifling and Glock warns not to use all lead bullets in their products.

I offer this to advise anyone using all lead bullets that you need to inspect and clean the bore before switching to jacketed bullets.
My S&W M&P .45 leaded up using commercially cast bullets loaded to modest velocities. I know to watch for it and to clean it before loading up with SD ammo.