View Single Post

Old 07-24-2014, 10:11 PM

Liked 1,665 Times in 730 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom 45 View Post
The way I did mine was to take out the mainspring and get the delrin grip to fit the bare frame. I had to trim the "hooks" at the front of the grip... they're too long. Then you need to dremel the back side where the mainspring goes. Once that is done you sand/grind the plastic mainspring holder that came with the Hogue grip to make it as small as possible while still holding the mainspring and cup. Then install the mainspring and with the dremel redo the inside of the grip to fit over the modified Hogue piece. When that is done remove the Hogue piece... install the grip and mark the hole where the grip pin goes... Probably the most difficult part of the mod!!! I think I "guessed" on the outside of one side then with a tiny drill bit in a pin vise drilled through. When I was satisfied with the location I put the grip back on and with the tiny drill went thru the first side and while looking into the opening in the butt of the grip I "precision" lined up the second side and drilled that hole using the pin vise and tiny drill. Then, because the second hole is more accurate than the first, I drilled the correct size hole for the pin thru that hole with the grip removed from the frame... naturally. then by eyeball I squared up the drill thru the hole I just made in side 2 and drilled side 1 to correct for my "guessing" on the first hole.

The second one went much easier than the first!
Good luck.
This!!!!! Following Tom's general method here, I just successfully completed modifying some delrin grips for my CS9. Took a bit too much off the back inside of the grips and probably off the Hogue adapter too, but it seems to work fine and the grip pin holes turned out great!

I drilled the holes on the frame of the gun and added a brass tube section to the inside of the frame holes for protection. Started with a 1/16" to find the first hole, widened it out with that bit on a dremel until I could fit a 3/32" through it, which happened to be a good fit inside the brass tube. I then took a file and dulled the edges all along a 3/32" drill bit except for the last mm, and put some tw25b on the shaft. I inserted that into the grip hole and gave the dremel a quick bump on-off and it was through, all lined up. I left the brass tubes in and the grip on, then carefully used first a 1/8 then a 9/64 by hand to finalize the hole size. Took the grips off and tube out, then carefully cleaned it up with a round file, and BAM - she fits!

Will have to take her to the range and really test it, but I believe it was a success. Many thanks to Tom for showing the way here. With Big Dog not making grips right now, DIY was my only option. Good luck to anybody else who tackles this!
The Following User Likes This Post: