View Single Post

Old 08-17-2014, 02:46 AM

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Default .35 Whelen 225gr.

I'm getting around 2725fps with Sierra 225gr boattails. I load RL 15, and I'm not conservative in my handload for this bullet. It shows less pressure sign than a factory .30-06 in 180gr. I shoot it from a 24" Remington CDL. I've never recovered a bullet so far, and I've killed about 35 Kansas whitetail with it at ranges from 20yds to 400yds. People who think the Whelen is a brush cartridge or the .350 Mag is either just haven't used them, and don't load for them. I don't use Alliant's new load though. It is ultra-conservative, and I think it is lawyer driven due to the number of old pre-WWII rifles out there. My 250gr. (Speer bullet) load Chronos at about 2675fps from this rifle, and I set the bullet out to max length. I have a long throat in this rifle, so that helps. It doesn't effect the accuracy of the Sierra bullet though. The Sierra goes well inside an inch, and the Speer is right on an inch at 100yds. The speer load shows exactly the same pressure signs as a fired factory 30-06 casing used to launch 180gr. bullets at 2700fps nominal. I even miked the head and body to see how much deformation they had. Primer is moderately flattened. Bolt is easy to manipulate. Bullet literally shoots through trees and telephone posts. What more do you want? Barrel twist for this rifle is 1 in 16. I'm thinking about getting a rifle from E.R. Shaw in a 1 in 14 twist heavy fluted sporter with a 26in. barrel chambered for Ackley Improved .35 Whelen. Not for the horsepower, but for the case life, which is improved due to less backthrust on the cartridge. Nice Cow Elk. I'm going after one this fall with the Whelen.

Last edited by greenejc; 08-17-2014 at 02:50 AM.