View Single Post

Old 08-21-2014, 12:15 AM

Liked 245 Times in 154 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by th365thli View Post
Not only that, but that exact problem is hoarders. Sure demand might skyrocket initially but once the hoarders get their fill they'll just not buy anymore. Producers need continuous demand to justify their investment in the capital needed for ammo production.The only reason hoarders are buying now is because of scarcity. It's a circular phenomenon.

Honestly, I respect views such as prepare for the worst, shtf, but really man, shoot your damn ammo. That way there will be no shortage and you can have fun AND prepare.

Curious as to how this mass shortage started. Was it because of the Newton shootings?
Yeah, started with the shootings.
But I think demand has gone permanently up. There are a lot of new shooters, new .22 shooters. I believe the demand is there for permanent increased production. Yes, the demand for AR15's subsided and there is excess because production increased during the panic. But ammo is different: you buy a gun once, but need ammo for it indefinitely. Again, lots of new shooters and increased interest to shoot particularly .22, that demand isn't going to subside. Unless production doesn't increase, in which case people will stop buying .22 firearms and/or sell the ones they have (such as one poster above). Why buy them if you can't get cheap ammo? Why shoot them if you can shoot 9mm or .223 for basically the same price. Yes, some people are doing alright finding .22 ammo at reasonable prices consistently. But that is NOT the norm, and takes much more effort than it should. It wasn't that long ago that finding .22 ammo didn't involve advanced planning, dedication and diligence. It's really absurd that that's what it takes now.

There may be some lingering artificially high demand from horders and/or resellers, but it's not just that as their ability to dive market price is limited in both scope and length. Overall demand has gone up and will never return to pre panic levels. Production needs to increase, permanently.