View Single Post

Old 08-29-2014, 09:24 PM

Liked 34,173 Times in 3,693 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-Shot View Post
Storage room, comfort, lighter weight,V-twin plus much more performance than you'd expect...take a close look at a Suzuki V-Strom. They are marvelous bikes and I'd still have mine if I were as tall as you.

Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Cholla View Post
A second vote for the Suzuki V-Strom. I have been riding H-Ds for years and about three years ago decided that I 'needed' a smaller/lighter bike for everyday use going to the store, etc.. I bought a used 650cc V-Strom and really like it so much the big H-D just sits in the garage unless Mrs. Big Cholla is going along. I'm a little smaller than you are so the 650cc has proved to be just what I 'needed' :-). I would recommend you go for the 1100cc model. All sorts of bags are available. I went with hard side bags and a big semi-soft top bag. I can carry so much stuff that lately I have been going to the pistol range on the Suzi. ............ Big Cholla
I second, I mean, third the Suzuki V-Strom.

I have a two bikes in the stable, a Harley Electra Glide Ultra and a V-Strom. Mine is also the 650cc and these bikes are just about bullet proof, very low maintenance, great fuel mileage, realitively light weight and nimble, and a lot of fun to ride. I've made a number of overnight and several multi-day trips on my V-Strom without any issues at all. The 650 Strom runs very, very smooth.

Some folks do two up touring on them but that's what my Harley Ultra is for. In fact, my wife has ridden with me on my V-Strom exactly one time and within a half mile from home she beat on my helmet and said "take me home, I don't like this thing." I think the creature comforts of the Harley spoiled her.

Suzuki DL-650 V-Strom (650cc L-twin engine)

2014 Harley Davidson Electra Glide Ultra Classic (103 cubic inch = 1690cc V-twin engine)

Last edited by Faulkner; 08-30-2014 at 07:34 AM.