View Single Post

Old 09-01-2014, 03:17 PM

Liked 446 Times in 240 Posts

If you like cruisers like your springer or Electra Glide, Suzuki, Kawasaki and Yamaha Star create the same look, and each also make a smaller version of their big cruisers. Some have been mentioned. If this type of motorcycle suits you go to their websites and look at the choices. I am a little familiar with Yamaha V-Star, they make a nice 1300 and 900 cruisers. These however are not my cup of tea.

The Suzuki Bandit, VStrom, Yamaha FZ series, are considered 'naked sport' types, can be made comfortable for long distance solo or two-up riding, and are fun for the day trips or around town riding. You do need a bit of joint mobility as the seating position is a bit tighter than a cruiser.

The Sport-Tourer of the BMW, Yamaha FJR, Kawasaki Concours, etc market is made for long distance comfort AND some good amount of sporty fun if twisty / canyon / sporty riding (as you can see in the below photo of me and the Mrs last summer on the Tail of the Dragon) is what you are looking for. They are also excellent for day trips and running to the store for bread. Yes, I am slightly biased towards the Sport-Tourers.

There is a recent class of "adventurer-tourers" made for street and off-road riding, but in my opinion these are not well thought out. The bikes are fine, but if you put tires on made for dirt they are poor (maybe dangerous) performers on the street; if you put road tires on they are no good in the dirt. You can get 'compromise tires' but that makes them only fair in both dirt and street. Just my opinion, I am sure there are folks who have these and they are happy with them.

No one mentioned GSXR or R1 or Z1000 full sport bikes (sometimes referred to as "zip-splats" , I'm guessing you are not interested in them.

This is how we ride

This may not be the way you ride.

My point is, when you ask for suggestions, you need to identify what are your plans for your motorcycle? That determines which class of motorcycle you might want to look at. All bikers have their favorites and one of those might work for you or might not.

I know people who have 10 year old cruisers with 2-4000 miles on them. To them a 50 mile trip three times per summer is a lot of riding. A good friend from GA just traded his HD Electra Glide with well over 200,000 miles for a new one. My 7 year old FJR1300 has over 60,000 miles on it, and being in the snow belt here in PA we only get 6 months of riding. Another friend with a 2004 FJR and rides 2-up all the time has passed 120,000 miles. Before my FJR I had one of those 'naked sport' Yamaha FZ1 and put 13,000 miles on it in 2 years. That was a blast to ride, but too crowded for long distance two-up - thus the FJR purchase

I don't think any of the bikes the posters have mentioned will disappoint, and maybe any of them will suit your needs. My first recommendation, as also posted, is to go to the dealers and sit on the bikes.

And to those who want to start decrying the motorcycle as a murder-cycle, don't bother. Motorcycle are inanimate objects. Just like a gun. Just like an automobile.