View Single Post

Old 09-12-2014, 05:03 PM

Liked 29,260 Times in 13,835 Posts
Default Dress appropriately

Of course I'd dress appropriately for court. One time, though, I had a major problem. After driving 30 minutes to the county seat, my son's court date was postponed because of a bomb scare, but nobody told us when the new court date was, neither anyone from the court or my lawyer's office. We were turned away by police from going near the court building.

The next morning I drive an hour round trip to the county seat to take my son to school. When I get back home I get a call telling me we are due in court. I ask when and am told "15 minutes ago". So I jump in the car, drive to the county seat and pick up my boy who is in school. He's in shorts but it's his school uniform so he is not sloppy but neat I was in long pants and a polo shirt, not ideal, but passable. When we get to court I ask my lawyer to please apologize to the judge for our dress, that we would never appear in court improperly dressed but there were circumstances beyond our control. When they finally let us into the court room it was to assign a new court date and told to come back properly dressed. I was highly pissed off and so was my son and my wife who couldn't be there on short notice but when you are involved with the court system, they call all of the shots, even if they are very poor shots.

My son also complains that many of the people we have to deal with as part of the system, don't seem to be the most educated, qualified or motivated people in the world. I tell him that all of the above are very good reasons to avoid getting involved in the court system and if he is as smart as he thinks it is he'll stay the hell away from anything like that. A trial is a piece of cake compared to the BS and hoops you have to jump through, even if you are the damaged party for months and years on end.

Last edited by rwsmith; 09-12-2014 at 05:04 PM.