View Single Post

Old 09-13-2014, 05:25 PM

Liked 7,070 Times in 2,397 Posts

One year at our lake place in Canada our neighbor called us over to help them eat some fresh alder smoked Sockeye. They had just had it shipped in from one of their northern pals and had a technique for eating it that ranks right up there with one of the best ways I have ever eaten salmon. You start with the proper cracker, the ones they were using were about 2" in diameter and quite wholesome, Wheatsworth or something a Canadian manufacture. Next you slathered on a layer of Philly cream cheese, the soft kind. Then a gob of Jalapeno jelly, finally a chunk of freshly smoked Sockeye salmon...its a mouthful but then most sushi is that way also. I had do do some searching for the Jalapeno jelly but it is available, you can also get a red pepper jelly but the Jalapeno is a better flavor with the other ingredients. There are very few things on this old blue marble that I have ever had in my mouth that even come close the taste combination explosion of that "snack". I've eaten Sockeye raw, smoked, kippered, canned, baked, barbqued, fried, poached,broiled,roasted,sushied, and believe this was the best ever, second only to a meal cooked by the former chef for the Japanese ambassador that started with Sockeye egg sushi and ended with the best teriyaki Sockeye I ever ate
The Following User Likes This Post: