View Single Post

Old 09-13-2014, 05:58 PM

Liked 5,902 Times in 2,543 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbrswll View Post
what is the amount of acceptable end play in the K frame? I have had mine about thirty years, bought it new from a police force that was going to the 5902 semi-auto. Several thousand rounds thu the gun, seems the timing is getting off and I have about 6thousands clearance at the cylinder to barrel connection.
Greetings wbrswll, and welcome to the forum.

According to the Kuhnhausen S&W shop manual, end play (sometimes called endshake) ought to be corrected once it reaches .006" or more. Many prefer to correct it before that; about .001" end play is thought ideal.

Cylinder-barrel gap should be measured with the cylinder held back by hand. If that's how you did it, .006" gap is about perfect. S&W old specs considered out to .010" acceptable; today that's pushed (rightly or not) out to .012".

If your revolver is starting not to time correctly, likeliest culprit is a worn hand -- something any qualified S&W revolversmith can replace quickly and at low cost.

Again, welcome to the forum -- it's a great place, chock full of knowledge and good folk. If you have any more gunsmithing related questions, there's a subforum specifically for it; feel free to start your own threads there or in any of the other topic-specific subforums.