View Single Post

Old 09-14-2014, 12:14 PM

Liked 6,813 Times in 2,543 Posts

When I lived in SoCal, I hung around a particular tackle shop. The owner was about my age and our wives got along well. After a couple years, I became one of the "in crowd" and was invited to go along on a "Busman's Holiday" of a long range trip to Mexico. We'd go every hear for 4-5 days, sleeping on the boat. Our trips were usually albacore trips.

At least once per trip, a shark would take a hooked fish. Usually it would be a hammer but sometimes a blue or mako. They'd get it right behind the gill covers. The chef would ask if you wanted to keep the fish or donate it to the boat. No reason to keep it because we'd bring home 1-2 DOZEN albacore and bigeyes. About 10-15 minuted later, a deckhand would be passing around fresh sashimi and some wasabi!

Another trip the albies were way out, so we had to travel all day to get to them. We stopped at one of the Channel Islands (Santa Rosa? San Miguel?) and fished for shallow water rockfish. That was lunch and they finally had to cut us off 'cuz we were eating them faster than we could catch them! Talk about fresh!
The Following 2 Users Like Post: