View Single Post

Old 09-15-2014, 01:41 PM
US Veteran
Absent Comrade

Liked 651 Times in 269 Posts

I have been carrying handguns since 1963. I carry a 5" 1911 in either .45 ACP or 10mm and one spare magazine OWB as a primary 90% of the time I am dressed. I carry either my Sig P938 9mm or Springfield Armory XDs-45 as a pocket BUG 100% of the time I am dressed.

If I spend time in remote rural areas, I often switch the 1911 for a FNH FNX-45 Tactical or a Glock G20 SF 10mm and two spare fifteen round magazines. If I spend time in the woods with black bear, I switch the 1911 for a 4" S&W 29-2 .44 magnum if I am conceal carrying or a 8 3/8" S&W 29-2 if open carrying.

Before I retired, I was working as a government agency consultant often by myself in extremely remote wilderness areas hours away from help and no radio or cell phone coverage. When I worked in an area with potential brown bear, moose, marijuana farmer, and survivalist encounters, I carried a Glock G20 SF and two spare magazines on my right side, a 5" S&W 460 magnum and two speed loaders on my left side, and my pocket BUG and spare magazine. I am left-handed and right eye dominant so I mostly carry right-handed, but I have left-hand and right-hand holsters for my carry guns.