View Single Post

Old 09-29-2014, 09:37 PM

Liked 3,961 Times in 1,871 Posts

Just a little update. I've been shooting rifles every weekend for the past couple months. Because the rifles are being shot more often, I'm not obsessing about thorough cleanings for longer term storage. I purchased a new Viper Boresnake that has longer brush surface.

So far wet the portion before the bristles with CLP & pull through three times...
  • M&P 15 Melonite Treated Barrel = Gets most of the fouling out. Good enough for weekly trips to the range.
  • CMV non-lined barrel = Gets most of the fouling out. Good enough for weekly trips to the range.
  • IWI Tavor Chrome Lined = Gets the bulk of the fouling out.

This is just me shining a light down the bore and doing a very subjective visual evaluation. The Boresnake doesn't remove all the fouling as the traditional four step cleaning:

1. Push dry patch down bore to dislodge loose fouling.
2. Push solvent wetted patch down bore, let solvent dwell.
3. Push solvent wetted brush down bore from breech to muzzle three times.
4. Push jag and patch down bore until patches come out clean.

The advantage to the Boresnake is that I don't have to take as many fouling shots for poa/poi to stabalize.

As far as the rest:

The chamber gets quickly brushed with a chamber brush.
The upper/lower or single unit receiver gets wiped out
The bolt or gas piston gets wetted down with Hoppes, leave it to dwell, then wiped off.

The standard BCG gets carbon fouling at the usual places. A wipe down doesn't get all the carbon off. What's left doesn't impede operation. Combustion fouling wipes right off the Fail Zero NiBx BCG. I'm running it dry.

I've burned through about 2K rounds over the three rifles. I'll do a complete clean of all three over Thanksgiving.