View Single Post

Old 10-03-2014, 09:41 PM

Liked 762 Times in 211 Posts

Depends what you are going to do with the load. Hunting or self-defense? And what are you hunting or defending against? In my Charter Bulldogs, I use 200 grain hand loads, either full hard cast wadcutter (Rimrock) at 800 fps or Gold Dot HP at 885 fps. The guns are lightweight and recoil becomes and issue for self-defense against crooks. The wadcutter is a light-recoiling load with a full diameter crush area, and the Gold Dot will most definitely expand well at 885 fps. The do shoot low - even at 15 yards - out of fixed sight guns, so I had to file the front sight to bring the POI up. I like my guns of serious calibre to shoot POA at 25 yards. Those that think you'd never have to use deadly force past arms length, need to get out and see the world more.

The problem with the Rimrock 240 grain cast HP with gas check is that it is cast to BNH 15 which is rather hard and probably needs over 1000 fps to expand… great for .44 Mag but a bit much in the .44 Special. It's more of a deer hunting bullet than a self-defense bullet. The 185 grain Rimrock HP bullet is cast to BNH 12 and has no gas check, so perhaps ok to expand at 900 fps… and it will shoot very low in fixed sight guns.

Rimrock has some bullet designs no one else has, but yes they are overpriced. You could almost buy jacketed bullets for the price and not deal with lead exposure, barrel leading and expansion issues.

Last edited by Model 15-4ever; 10-03-2014 at 09:43 PM.