View Single Post

Old 10-05-2014, 04:27 PM

Liked 1,579 Times in 912 Posts

Hate? No.
If you're going to teach your child to hunt, you should also teach them to wait for the right animal and the right shot.
Killing the small/young ones hurts the deer population more than killing the adults that have already procreated.

Deer that small aren't even worth the processing fee.
Doe days in GA have been limited because of the number of young deer killed by coyotes. The effect on the population is not lessened by irresponsible hunters doing the same thing.
Passing on tiny animals and only killing mature adults is better than teaching our children that it's okay to kill any deer they see.
Waiting for the right deer is much better than the instant gratification of letting them do whatever they want.

450 pounds is not a large hog in GA. We have a problem with them here.
They are not game animals. They are an invasive species.
That said, I kill them as humanely as possible. I don't even want a pest to suffer.

Hate? No. No hate. Just responsibility. I've seen what happens to the deer population when people in the hunting club allow deer of any size to be killed. After a couple of seasons of people shooting a bunch of dog-sized deer, there aren't many adults left in the area. Those dog-sized adolescents have to grow up to become adults worthy of shooting/processing/eating.

Sure is a fair bit of vitriol coming from the proponents of using too little gun, or shooting too-small deer.
So, who really hates?

As far as "everything being better in GA", I'm not getting into that urinating competition with you, but I'm glad you don't live here and I wouldn't live in FL on a dare.
Our hogs are bigger, our deer are bigger, our bears are bigger, and I can legally own shotgun specialty ammo here (felony in FL).

FL has it's pluses, but I'm not a beach or theme park person.

Our coyotes are bigger than out west, but that's pretty consistent with all states east of the MS river. More food equals bigger animals.