View Single Post

Old 10-07-2014, 09:27 AM

Liked 9,470 Times in 4,391 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphydog View Post
Completing a set of correct vintage (un-numbered) tools and parts for the sake of personally enjoying an "original" gun with box and accessories is common, as you know - been there, done that. A world of difference from selling this as original from the factory with a correspondingly higher price, and at least one solar system away from faked labels, aging and whatnot.
I don't think too many people object to the owner of a "boxless" vintage gun buying an authentic period box to go with it. The fraud comes in only if that box is later represented as "original" and matched to the gun (meaning the gun in question was delivered out of the factory in that box).

The "reproduction" label thing (nicer word for "fake") is a far nastier fraud if used to falsely represent a box as original to the gun in order to get more money for it.

I don't think that fake S&W boxes are as much of a problem as fake Colt boxes. I could see where the box that my 1980ish electroless DS came in could be very easily reproduced in almost any print shop.

Fake S&W labels are another matter. They are probably very easily reproduced. That would upset me greatly if I detected one on the box of a gun I was considering buying.

Not long ago, I bought a 3rd Gen that was represented as being "used, with 2 magazines and box". I took for granted that the box was the original box for the gun. When the box was later turned over to me, I was shocked to see the label gone... very obviously torn off on purpose and a sloppy job at that.

While possibly correct for the gun, I'm betting now that it was not original to the gun. Nothing like that feeling of having been played for a fool.