View Single Post

Old 10-10-2014, 07:58 AM

Liked 5,902 Times in 2,543 Posts

A range only Model 60?

If you're on a serious hunt for a slick superb trigger, spring changes alone aren't enough, and can be problematic as reduced spring weights will accentuate any hitches in your lockwork.

Simply:

Step 1) Comprehensive action work by a qualified revolversmith smoothing all contact points throughout the revolver.

Step 2) Wolff Reduced Power mainspring; there's only one and if I recall it's eight pounds versus factory eight-and-a-half.

Step 3) Lowest weight rebound spring; again, if I recall, 11 pounds. If the action work has been performed properly, trigger reset will still function with this light a rebound spring because of less resistance throughout the lockwork. If it doesn't reset well, go up in poundage, but if it's a range plinker, why worry about perfect reset?

Step 4) Experiment rolling your own loads until you find a round that will reliably ignite and accurately hit.

A little too involved? Do Step 1 and forget the rest. A quality smoothing of contact surfaces, in my experience, will give you a much better trigger on a J-frame than spring swaps.