Thread: Shield vs XDs
View Single Post

Old 10-13-2014, 09:46 AM

Liked 49 Times in 35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamon View Post
Your link refers to Cr and Ni plated steel. Stainless steel when alloyed with proper amounts of Cr and/or Ni yields an extremely corrosion resistant metal.

Yes, there are grades of stainless steel that contain less or no Ni, and less Cr, thus are only slightly better than mild steel in normal corrosion testing. I don't know what grades of stainless are used in slides and barrels, but I'm willing to leave that to the metallurgists and engineers that craft the firearms. Suffice to say that blanket statements can not be made w/o knowing the whole of it.
A few years back a LGS had some XD stainless guns come in with rusting issues. My thought is that good surface treatment on carbon steel is going to offer superior rust performance over stainless steel. I have purchased two police service revolvers(one Ruger & one Smith) made of stainless steel and they had some deep pitting due to rusting in our coastal location. Sometimes, folks think if they buy stainless, they are home free and the OP did not realize that the surface treatment on a standard XD provides great rust protection.

Last edited by Mountain Walker; 10-13-2014 at 09:48 AM.