View Single Post

Old 10-16-2014, 04:54 PM

Liked 4,919 Times in 1,706 Posts

..The Mountain Gun series....who here think that they should have 5" slim barrels instead of 4"...isn't the 5" Model 27 the best balanced N-frame of all...so being the 50th Anniversary of the .41 Magnum it was time for a "slim barrel 5" 57"....

Life started out as a badly rusted and pitted 1973 vintage Model 27...

Sorry for the bad pic of the end of the barrel...the pits were deep...

Bought the gun last fall and before my gunsmith, who trained at S&W, left for Florida for the winter had him spin the barrel off... It then went to Delta Gunsmithing to be rebored to .41. I was tempted to have them rebore the cylinder to .41 Special as I already have a USFA SAA in .41 Special but since I had an extra Model 58 cylinder I just decided to have the smith trim the barrel back and keep it a Magnum...

When the smith came back in the spring I left the gun with him before taking off on a three month western vacation... Just got back last week and picked the gun up today...

More than enough meat for a .41 hole...

Some of the deeper pits at the end of the barrel were just too deep to polish out but as this is a shooter I don't really care...

So this guns will join the other 5" 57 that this same smith saved from a badly rusted 6" first year 1964 gun.

Only had time to fire six test shots...more shooting this weekend...

Bob
The Following 5 Users Like Post: