View Single Post

Old 10-21-2014, 05:11 PM
Absent Comrade

Liked 1,332 Times in 325 Posts
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05CarbonDRZ View Post
I agree,Short of seeing the back of the Stocks they do not look correct to me.They are not nearly as refined as most of the Ropers I have seen.
Hi 05CarbonDRZ
I have learned the hard way that Nothing is chisled in stone with Roper stock's. I have observed Many pair's of Matheis Gagne's stock's in the past Ten or so Year's and I can tell you that the stock making process DID change through the year's that Matheis Gagne produced his stock's. We as Collector's or Lover's of Roper stock's have to Fully understand that there were actually Three people that made& worked on Roper stock's through the time span that they were offered the latest stock maker Being Matheis Gagne's son Albert Gagne, who Later went on to work for S&W as well as shoot on their Company shooting Team and I Further feel, that it was he that was designer of the Famous Coke Bottle profile Diamond Target stock's as they shared much of his Father's design in them. It has been said that Matheis Gagne did not use any or Much of the high grain definition wood in his stock's, But I beg to differ with that comment as I have a Nicely Grained set of Roper's stock's as shown below It has also been said that if the Square Peg hole's are Not present on the back of his stock's, that they are Not Roper's, Well That is Very Untrue or at best a Long carried Myth as well as here is a Pair of them that do Not have the Square peg hole's that the Expert's seem to claim ALL Roper stock's have to have. We as Collector's, Boastfull Self Proclaimed Expert's, or just simply every day reader's of this Printed material that we So Thrive on as being Biblical in every way tend to always' believe Just what has been printed or said in these Book's about Matheis Gagne's, work Habit's or Supposedly Just how they Manufactured their Stock's. well as a Person who Love's Roper's stock's too I can safely say Now, that All Thing's change as time roll's On as does the Process of how they were Really made whether we want to believe it or not, Tend's to be Our Own Plain Old Stubborness to believe other wise or our Complete Ignorance of these time Proven facts.
Regards, Hammerdown

Last edited by Hammerdown; 10-21-2014 at 05:18 PM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: