View Single Post

Old 10-22-2014, 02:19 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 9,647 Times in 1,800 Posts

I haven't handled hundreds or even dozens of pairs of Ropers. I have/have owned a total of 4 pair but have handled a few other sets. But, I HAVE studied hundreds of pictures of Roper stocks on this forum and other websites. I like to think I have a keen eye for similarities and have become very good at spotting Ropers, Farrants, Sandersons, Etc. on various online auction sights.

I see absolutely NO Roper characteristics with these grips other than the overall look (the ribbon, the grooves on the thumbrest, etc.) which I believe was made to mimic the Roper design. The checkering style does not look right at all and the insides of these grips are very crudely inletted and don't resemble the inside of any real set of Ropers I have ever seen. MOST Ropers will have the square Jig Holes, and a EITHER penciled or carved description of the gun that they fit (or BOTH penciled and carved). (You can see a few examples of this below). Roper panels also tend to be pretty thin where the stocks on the Colt are rather thick, especially at the top where a Roper stock tends to be at its thinnest;

I realize the hardware varied a bit (most are seen with either black(blued), or nickel silver escutcheons and screws) but all of them have been much smaller in diameter compared to the stocks on the Colt in question.

Below are a few examples of Ropers which also show the hardware that I am most familiar with when looking at Roper Stocks. And, if you look back through this thread there are many other great examples to see.

Also, here is a Google Image Search result for Roper Grips. MANY images to look through here (yes, I realize there are some Keith Brown Ropers and other non-roper stocks here but the majority are original.)

https://www.google.com/search?q=rope...&q=roper+grips

Last edited by 410bore; 10-22-2014 at 02:29 PM.
The Following User Likes This Post: