Thread: Dogs
View Single Post

Old 10-25-2014, 07:30 PM

Liked 98 Times in 51 Posts

Well, unfortunately, I've had a fair share of interaction with aggressive dogs, when I was younger. I used to be really afraid of large dogs, after getting bit. A trainer advised me that most dogs are not trained to attack and because of that will actually jump at you. If you know to expect it, you can wait for the jump, side step and do whatever you must. Since learning that, every interaction has gone much better. I'm guessing my lack of fear and the knowledge that I can probably beat most dogs in a fair fight help.

Having said that, I agree with your assessment. If I had a dog heading toward me and my young daughter, I'd put her behind me, offer my weak side, put my strong hand (behind me) ready to draw and expect the worse. If less then the worse happens, then I'll be happy.

I will say that I would not bother with pepper spray. If the dog attacks me, it's trying to kill me and I will return the favor. If the dog attacks me, it'll probably attack somebody else and the owners don't have control over it.

I do own a beautiful black lab that I love dearly, but the only place we go off leash is our property and he is well trained and has never (yet) ignored my commands, since we've gotten him trained. It was a long process and took me a while. We live out in the country and have some land and I love taking walks with him out in the woods. His curiosity is very relaxing and entertaining.
The Following 3 Users Like Post: