View Single Post

Old 10-27-2014, 03:24 PM

Liked 254 Times in 140 Posts
Default 45 COLT loads for S&W Governor

I started this thread because the short barrel and long cylinder bore make the Governor a challenge to load for, and specific load data is non-existent. The purpose of this post is to consolidate all of my data in one place for other Governor owners.

I have spent quite a bit of time testing different powders, looking for both good "plinking" loads and defense loads that could equate or even exceed the energy of the best commercially available loads in 45 COLT.

My "defense" load goal was to come up with a hand load (or several) that matched the energy of the best commercial round I have found... the Barnes VOR-TX 200 GR XPB HP (379 ft-lb), but using readily available 250 grain XTP bullets instead.

Here is a summary of the commercial rounds I have tested from the Governor. Note that all load velocities were measured using an Oehler 35P chronograph with the start screen placed 8 feet from the muzzle.

Commercial Loads Tested:

Barnes VOR-TX 200 GR XPB HP - 921 FPS - 379 ft-lbs <-- best load tested

Winchester Silvertip 225 GR HP - 771 FPS - 298 ft-lbs

Winchester PDX1 225 GR Bonded JHP - 766 FPS - 295 ft-lbs

Hornady Lever Revolution 225 GR FTX - 755 FPS - 286 ft-lbs

Speer Gold Dot 250 GR GDHP - 669 FPS - 250 ft-lbs

Hornady Critical Defense 185 GR FTX - 863 FPS - 308 ft-lbs

The Barnes VOR-TX ammo was impressive. It was also very accurate.

410 Gauge 2-1/2" Load Tested:

Hornady Critical Defense - Triple Defense (244.1 GR total payload) - 761 FPS - 315 ft-lbs

This load consists of one polymer tipped bullet shaped projectile weighing 115.2 grains and two buckshot weighing 64.45 grains each. This was only a six-shot string. I usually shoot a 10-shot string. I determined the weight of the projectiles by dissecting a round and weighing the components.

I shot five rounds at an 8.5x11 piece of paper 10 yards away and all 15 projectiles struck the paper. Not a bad grouping for that distance.

Hand Load Chronograph Data:

I started testing loads using the less expensive Berry's plated bullets, looking for some loads that showed promise before graduating them to the more expensive XTPs. During testing I found that as my loads got "warmer," the Berry's plated bullets began to lose their plating. Blow-by in the oversized cylinder bores seemed to be stripping the plating off the bullets. I have posted a photo of two recovered bullets in a later post (below). Milder loadings did not have as much plating loss as exhibited by clean holes in the paper tagets instead of ragged holes, so they may still be suitable for "plinking" loads.

Disclaimer: Some of these loads are sure to produce more than the SAAMI allowed 14,000 PSI. The Governor is rated for 45 ACP, which has an allowable pressure of 21,000 PSI. Please refer to your loading manuals to determine if these loads are safe for your firearm. I based some of my charges on an article in Handloader magazine volume 246, which lists data for 20,000 PSI loads. In this article, they were pushing 280 grain cast bullets instead of 250 grain plated or XTP, but typically data shown for a heavier bullet is safe to use on lighter bullets. This article had a table of "20,000 PSI" loading data that indicated max loads of 10.0 grains of Unique, 9.5 grains of Power Pistol, 10.0 grains of Universal, and 8.5 grains of TiteGroup. I stayed under these max loadings here. Note that standard primers were being used in the loads found in the article.

Below is a picture of an Excel spreadsheet showing all my Governor load data sorted alphabetically by powder, then charge weight. Where Magnum primers were used, they are highlighted with red text. Velocity spreads above 50 FPS, which are not desirable, are also highlighted with red text. You can click on the table to view a larger version.

Link to Table

Observations:

Power Pistol powder seemed to stand out. It produced very consistent velocities, good accuracy (as good as can be expected from the Governor), and does not seem to care much if you use standard or magnum primers.

Unique and CFE-Pistol require magnum primers in the short barreled Governor to get the velocities to be consistent.

None of the XTP loads tested showed any pressure signs (they shouldn't at these pressures).

The XTP loads were not too bad to shoot. I do not think any recoiled as much as some of the hotter 410 defensive offerings do.

The XTP loads were far more accurate than the Berry's plated loads.

Plated bullets are not ideal for use in the Governor due to the oversize cylinder bore which lets blow-by peel the plating off. They may still be OK for mild loads.

Mike

Last edited by Vortec MAX; 10-27-2018 at 12:48 AM. Reason: Corrected broken link to data table
The Following 5 Users Like Post: