View Single Post

Old 11-09-2014, 11:39 PM

Liked 1,574 Times in 578 Posts

Go to youtube and search for "safe cracking" and "gun safes." You'll see that none of the small ones can resist a good hammer and many fail immediately.
Sentry safes: Teenagers seem to love showing how easily they can be opened. They demonstrate in great detail. Not for me.
None of the biometric ones are UL approved for function or durability. A Bing search will show you how often they fail. I don't feel I'd rely on one to open instantly for me. Note that some of them have maddening delays after the code is entered or the finger is swiped, and some require two operations to open. I definitely want a key to back it up.

I have a Fort Knox by my bed, but would never leave the house with a gun in it. It's main purpose is to keep the rug-rat grandchild out of it, but we don't let him get even THAT close to it. I also have one in my Trucklet, in a location that makes it very difficult to pry out or beat open. It's mounted with hardened bolts and a backplate.

If I'm in bed, the Fort Knox box is unlocked and open beside me. When I'm up, if my gun is not on my person it is in the Fort Knox, which I think of as a "day box." Again, I'd never leave home with a gun in it.
The Following User Likes This Post: