View Single Post

Old 11-15-2014, 06:45 PM

Liked 6,702 Times in 1,846 Posts

The Alaska guides choice holster that SAMWOOD posted about LOOKS like a great outdoors holster but has one flaw that I find totally unacceptable. The open toe design is good for use in the concrete jungle and tree stand hunting. I lived the outdoor life for many decades and there are a few things my outdoor holsters must have. A closed toe and a full flap. The full flap keeps rain, snow, leaves, pine needles and slop out of the guns mechanism. The closed toe keeps the muzzle free of snow and mud when sliding down mountains and falling in creeks. Outdoors wandering has found me face down and butt planted in many creeks and snow banks. Sue of Kavick Alaska on Life Below Zero needs a gun advisers badly. For her defense she has a SINGLE action Ruger with an open toed holster, too small for the gun with the barrel sticking out the bottom. Twice in the matter of minutes she fell waist deep in snow which would have resulted in a plugged barrel. Closed toes are necessary for rough outdoors adventures. Alaska chest holsters would be my choice but I would have to duct tape the toe and opt for the optional flap holster even though it doesn't actually cover the entire grip. At &165 each it seems silly to have to use duct tape on them.