View Single Post

Old 11-30-2014, 02:24 PM
US Veteran

Liked 4,882 Times in 2,025 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKFC05 View Post
There is no better than the ISMI spring assembly that S&W furnishes stock on all the fullsize and compact M&Ps.
The piano wire type aftermarket springs are FAR INFERIOR to the flat wound ISMI springs. The current craze to "improve" M&Ps with aftermarket products is not shared by serious competitors.
The M&P Pro 5" comes set up for IDPA competition.
Get a spare recoil spring assembly, trigger spring, and striker assembly (all available from Brownells), and go shoot IDPA to your hearts content. Maybe in 10,000 rounds you'll need to install your spares.
I called S&W and asked them if they had a recommended replacement schedule for the recoil spring assembly, they said that they had no schedule, and that they tested them to 50K rounds and then stopped the test. At that point I had over 60K on my spring assembly, so I changed it. I figure 50K is a good number for me. (this is on a competition gun, if it fails, the worst that can happen is my score for that stage will stink, on a carry gun, I'd probably change it around the 10K-15K mark). My advice is to do what you feel comfortable with, they're pretty inexpensive parts.

Last edited by Bkreutz; 11-30-2014 at 02:26 PM.