View Single Post

Old 12-16-2014, 10:28 AM
US Veteran

Liked 14,428 Times in 5,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondo44 View Post
. . . My 32 was made in 1939 so it has a heat treated cyl . . .
Jim - I have read this for every S&W sold after the teens, but wonder if the factory actually heat treated all these antique era revolver cylinders? Also, some of these old calibers could have had all parts laying around for later date assembly that were made much earlier?

I have never been concerned about shooting reduced load smokeless in any of my revolvers, but it would seem that many of these late pocket revolvers that became very slow seller in the 1920s and later could well have been put together from parts made in the 1910s or before??

For the OP, I have been loading Trail Boss in all my revolvers below 40 caliber for a long time now fand it works great for my target shooting. You can fill the case to the bottom of the seated bullet, but do not compress, and never worry about over-pressuring or double charging. Clean burning powder that is almost foolproof and the older I get the less I remember.

Use the charts for Trail Boss and start at the low end, but I find that a full charge never yields anything above 750 fps in 32 S&W, 32 Long, 38 S&W, and 38 Special.