View Single Post

Old 12-27-2014, 09:12 PM

Liked 3,961 Times in 1,871 Posts

I'm putting together a bunch of your posts into quotable chunks. It should help you answer your own questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overpaid Union Thug View Post
Do you think I should buy the Sport (because of the cheaper price tag) and just buy the Troy Rail and replace the stock rail/hand guard myself? Is that something that is simple to do? I'm new to this so I have no idea.
Here is my advice. Because you are new and do not know what you do not know yet:

1. Buy a factory complete rifle. Because you do not know what you do not know yet, it is a very good idea to buy a rifle manufactured by a company that has the resources to back a warranty. S&W is a well known big brand.

2. Buy a factory complete rifle that is outfitted as much as possible the way you want right out of the box. Most of the time, it saves you money over the long run.

Regarding replacing the handguards & parts and whether it is easy to do, it all depends on your mechanical aptitude. What is easy for me to do may not be easy for you to do.

Quote:
My decision on choosing just about anything on a rifle at this point is mainly based on the look and cosmetic appeal of each part.
Quote:
Do you think I should buy the Sport (because of the cheaper price tag)
No. The 15-Sport's cost savings are due to the omission of standard AR-15 features and the use of standard AR accessories. The omissions include:
  • No Dust Cover
  • No Forward Assist
  • Integral Winter Trigger Guard
  • Slim diameter handguards without heat shields.

Since you are buying based on appearance, the omission of the forward assist and dust cover means the 15-Sport isn't for you. You want a M&P 15 rifle that looks like what you see on TV, movies, magazines, etc.

One tip: what looks good may not actually feel good under live fire. Get to a gun store. Shoulder as many AR-15's with different stocks, fore ends, grips, etc.

Quote:
My goal for the rifle is indoor/outdoor range time, shooting random targets on friends' land, and the dreaded home defense scenario. I don't plan on ever competing.
Cool. Then pick whatever full feature M&P 15 floats your boat. The M&P 15 rifle will fit the intended roles.