View Single Post

Old 12-31-2014, 12:23 PM
Absent Comrade

Liked 13,354 Times in 5,549 Posts

I use Kuhnhausens 1911 shop manual and his DVD. I also have the Wilson combat DVD and the AGI DVD also.

I got tired of buying new 1911's that had problems and decided to learn everything about how to repair, trouble shoot, tweet them, do frame up builds. It was time to stop the insanity of losing $$.

My first build was a Chinese norinco 1911 after replacing the barrel with a surplus USGI $59 barrel and IAI national match barrel bushing. With me doing all the fitting she now shoots cloverleafs and clusters at 25yards. No matter who shoots it, it's that good. I installed a adjustable trigger, FLGR KIT with the 18lb recoil spring.
She's a low budget build using very affordable new parts. She a low budget race 1911.

For my very first build I wanted to test my talents and new knowledge to see how good a low budget build could be accurate wise. I fitted the barrel bushing for a 100% lock up yet allowing the barrel to go from full battery hinging down to load the next round with no barrel spring in full battery or when it's lowered yet my goal was to have a 100% lockup in full battery. I did check the lug engagement and the push down test to make sure the link used is the proper length.

Now this accuracy was with the Russian wolf ammo and I didn't tighten up the slide to frame fit. I just focused on fitting the new barrel and NM bushing. I did remove the machining marks on the feed ramp. The feed ramp on any 1911 should be polished. I also added a ramp for the disconnector. If you run the slide by hand at a certain point you feel a bump when the disconnection hits the slide. By filing a ramp very carefully the bump is removed.

We ran 500rds through this 1911 flawlessly with no changes in accuracy.

You can learn from books and DVD's. I'm no gun Smith but I have built machines that manufacture everything. I was a car, truck and 4x4 mechanic in my early days. Before I retired I was a lead tech in an engineering r&D lab.

My point is there's nothing we can't do if we apply ourselves.

My next build will be a frame up build with all new parts.

Last edited by BigBill; 12-31-2014 at 12:59 PM.