View Single Post

Old 01-01-2015, 02:42 PM

Liked 9,314 Times in 3,723 Posts

Alk8944: As you will see below, my concern is that she was not serious about a serious issue. She died as a result. There was NO EXCUSE for her conduct, and she paid the ultimate price for it. However, we will pay politically for these events, and if we do not learn from them and push aggressively for our fellow gun owners to be responsible, we will be force fed very bad things. It is not a pro-or anti-gun issue in many ways - it is a pro or anti responsible conduct issue, like many others.

jeeps said: Our Chief shot himself with a Shield. Medina Police Chief & ex-ATF supervisor Patrick Berarducci accidently shoots self in right leg | cleveland.com This type of trigger system is a accident waiting to happen. The Glock is the same. Off the body carry is careless too.
While it does not take a lot of stupid to have such an ND, a certain amount is required. At best, a serious violation of rule 3. The problem was not the pistol, it was the user. He is, and I would look him right in the face and say this, an idiot. He needs some serious retraining and a guardian. If I had the misfortune to be around him, I would never let him be out of my sight - too irresponsible to be trusted.

My response to the string in the Lounge about this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer17
I dont want to pass any judgment in a time like this but, but nearly every child will pull the trigger on a gun if they can pick it up. I have seen it happen, so do you really need a loaded chamber in Walmart? You can jack the slide in less than a second if you feel there might be danger and I doubt if any young child can manipulate the slide on a Glock.

Concealed carry citizens are not cops, and it actually wouldn't bother me if every concealed carry license required the chamber to be empty. If you feel a threat you can chamber your piece and quickly leave that area.
This been shown repeatedly to be a fail on many levels. The pistol needs a round chambered at all times unless out of service such as putting it in the safe or doing maintenance or dry practice. Period. One cannot be assured of circumstances that will allow for chambering a round; might already have an injury by the time of completing the draw, might be using a hand at contact range to hold off an assailant. Anyone who is not prepared to carry a firearm ready to shoot is not ready to carry a firearm. Period.

I don't care what make or model it is - you carry an M10, load all 6 holes in the cylinder; carry a 1911 or BHP, chamber one, apply the thumb safety, add a round to the mag - anything other than cocked and locked is unsat, regardless of the ghastly training from Uncle Sam that has been inflicted on so many; the Glock gets a round chambered, too. (With a Glock, and some other pistols, a holster that properly covers the trigger area is not an option.)

I have to be careful about critiquing purse carry lest one of our female members comes uncorked on me. However, for most purposes, off body carry like that is not merely a fail; it is clownshoes, negligent, disgraceful, and worse. I'll admit, I do not care what the fashion police say - I dress around the gun. Being armed AND READY TO FIGHT is not optional - being stylish is. Any other viewpoint is indicative of really skewed priorities in dire need of un(screw)ing. IF she was going to use a purse for carry, she need to have it on her, with a rigid adherence to priorities.

The purse HAD to have been in the cart and not in her control for this to occur. Unsat. Not at all acceptable. While one could assert that a 2 YO should not have been so out of control (my wife has, while discussing this incident), the ability of a small child to do and try things that were not foreseen is amazing. Answer: preclude the danger in other ways.

She was not ready for responsibility of being armed, and she died for it. The child will some day grow up and become aware, and live with this. We will all pay politically for this type of event. All of this was preventable, but occurred because the seriousness of the decision to be armed, and the duties that come with it, were not given their proper priority. If you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem. If you are this cavalier about your decisions about being armed, change, or don't be armed. If you are in a position where you can influence people, teach that same standard. Nothing less is appropriate.

Last edited by Doug M.; 01-01-2015 at 02:47 PM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: