Thread: Randall knife
View Single Post

Old 01-11-2015, 06:38 PM

Liked 6,261 Times in 2,170 Posts

Some get used, some not. Just like my guns. If I live long enough, and all my current using knives go bad, then the show knives will move up to first string. I have nothing against buying a used Randall, either. The ones I use the most are my individual steak knives, 6-4s. They just balance and feel right. Makes the steak taste better, too. I've lost count of how many I have, and that's good because it doesn't influence me when I see a good one for sale. No one has enough.

One of my new favorites is my mini 3. When I first saw one, I thought they were just novelties. Then I got one in my hand and realized they were really nice little knives. No, you can't carve up or clean a moose with one. But its a really well balanced tiny knife. Some cutting tasks don't require or respond well to a bowie sized knife. Lets call that almost none. There are more cutting tasks that can be done well with a small knife than a big one. 5" is a big blade, especially for precision cutting.

I love hunting season when the fools come out with their Rambo survival knives. Especially while hunting big game like tree rats or bunnies. Make your knife match your prey. Its how you tell the novice from the old guys.