View Single Post

Old 01-11-2015, 11:51 PM

Liked 6,257 Times in 2,328 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles2014 View Post
OK,

Need some knowing advice here...I'm going to get one of these, but am tring to figure out which one. I know this is a S&W forum, so not totally unbiased, but is the extra $200-300 more for the 686 worth it? I shot the GP 100 today and really liked it. Never shot the S&W. Could current and/or previous owners let me know what you think?

Thanks for the help!
I have shot Rugers, S&W's and Colts. They are all fine revolvers. I have never cared for the way the Colts handle in DA, it is simply awkward to use. I've not been able to find any good reason to explain why the Colt DA is so designed. Even the Pythons I had were no better in DA. Perhaps with some attention the DA might be improved, but given the cost of a Colt, one has to wonder whysuch further attention would be needed. In SA, they have been fine, as good as S&W's.

I have shot a number of Rugers. They are fine pistols. They are heavier that comparable revolvers chambered for the .357 revolver. This helps with recoil, etc. The triggers are not so hot in SA. In DA, the triggers are heavy but usually smooth. One can usually stage the trigger in DA which helps in placing shots. It is possible to improve the trigger pull on a Ruger. By the time you've spent the money and time fiddling around with them, one begins to understand why the Ruger is usually less expensive for initial purchase. After fiddling, the Ruger will be a nice revolver. Aesthetically there is not much one can do about it. And when it comes to owning and enjoying a firearm, especially a handgun, it is understandable that one would want to have a handgun that combines elegance in design with excellence in manufacturer.

I have shot a lot of S&W revolvers, mostly in .38/.357 caliber. The L-frame series is about the best revolver ever made anywhere anytime by anyone. It is heavy enough with sufficient weight out front to moderate recoil using heavy magnum loads. The grips are comfortable for just about anyone. As well a plethora of aftermarket grips are available that will suit just about every taste and need. The S&W DA trigger pull is just about universally smooth. The SA trigger pull is sort that other manufacturers wish they could produce. It is worth noting that when one is at a match the overwhelming majority of revolvers used will be S&W's. That is some indication of what one may expect for the long term from a S&W revolver in heavy usage. JMHO. Sincerely. brucev.