View Single Post

Old 01-12-2015, 02:32 AM

Liked 17,102 Times in 6,271 Posts

First, welcome to the wild world of shotguns. Brother, you are entering the void from which there is no return. Get ready, I'll try to keep this short...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOUSTON RICK View Post
I have done some reading and lightly used the Browning Citori and Ruger Red Label. I would like to take lessons in skeet and sporting clays, but still be able to use this shotgun for hunting.
Just steer clear of the Red Label. There have been many problems with those guns. The most recent edition is better, but the Citori is still a much better gun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Star View Post
Well, an over-under or any double is a luxury item for a wealthy shooter. The good ones aren't cheap.
People don't like to hear this, but it is the stone cold truth. Over under shotguns are not inexpensive. However, it is disingenuous to say they are luxury items for the wealthy. I've owned my share and I'm not wealthy by any stretch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by da gimp View Post
Browning has just came out with a new O/U, it has mechanical triggers as opposed to their traditional inertia triggers on the Citoris & Lightenings.
Are you talking about the Cynergy when you say "new" with mechanical triggers? Or are you talking about the Citori 725? Neither is really new. The Cynergy was introduced in 2004 and the 725 is just a rehash of the older Citori guns, but with a lower profile to the receiver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by da gimp View Post
If you can afford it the Belgium made guns hold their value a lil better.......... but the Japanese made ones are made just as well mechanically, metal finish & wood fit and finish wise.
Yeah, if you can afford them. Browning still produces the Superposed in Belgium, but a new one will start somewhere around $15K so, break out the check book. Older Superposed models can be found for reasonable prices, but beware of the "salt" models. Honestly, it's best for the OP to avoid the Superposed at this stage.

Now, down to brass tacks, Rick, you said, "I would like to take lessons in skeet and sporting clays, but still be able to use this shotgun for hunting." Wouldn't we all? Alas, there is no one shotgun that will fit all the venues. Sporting guns are too heavy to carry in the field and field guns are too light for the heavy use they will see in the clay games. So, before I spend the next hour typing, tell me what you'll do more, clay games or hunting? Then we can help you find the right gun.

Oh yeah, one more thing. Are you prepared to spend at least $2,500 for a new gun? If you're not, maybe the O/U isn't for you.

Just for reference, and so you'll know I have a clue when it comes to shotguns, here's my Browning Cynergy with custom stock:

This book is considered the "Go To" book for how to get your shotgun to fit correctly:

That's me on the cover. I'm actually a lefty, but Rollin thought it would be better to have a right handed shooter on the cover so, we inverted the pic.