View Single Post

Old 01-12-2015, 07:36 PM

Liked 771 Times in 368 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatofeo View Post
Part of the lore that the German Luger is an unreliable feeder is due to American, lower-pressured ammo being used in it. This problem dates back to just after World War I, when returning Doughboys found their Lugers unreliable with (the newly introduced) American 9mm ammo.
The same problem surfaced after GIs returned from World War II.
If you have an old Luger, try some Fiocchi 9mm FMJ in it. Odds are, it will function fine because of the slightly higher "zip" of the Fiocchi ammo.
I have a friend who-after some experimenting-settled on 147gr Fiocchi as his "go to" off the shelf Luger ammo. Even though he's a handloader, he's found it to be even more reliable in his Luger than his handloads(and now that ammo prices have come back down, not a lot more expensive).

As for some other stuff-one of the most accurate 32 S&W long loads I've ever used is the Fiocchi Wadcutter. It's also one of the least expensive 32 long ammos on the market-I can usually find it locally for around $18 a box. Even though I have dies and brass for 32 long, I find it "finicky" enough to load-and I shoot so little of it-that I usually shoot the Fiocchi wadcutters. Although no commercial 32 long ammo is anywhere close to hot, the Fiocchi wadcutters are probably one of the lightest loads on the market.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: