View Single Post

Old 01-18-2015, 02:07 AM

Liked 694 Times in 93 Posts

Picked this one up a few weeks ago. Was interested in it for the pre WWII Magna stocks that were on it, needed them for a .38/44 OD that I have.

I believe it's a S&W 1917 Commercial chambered in .45ACP. I say believe because it's in no way original. The barrel has been cut down to 3.5". The serial number on the cylinder, extractor, and barrel are removed. The serial on on the crane is not matching. The serial on the frame is 624XX, which is way earlier than the Commercials were supposedly being built. It was missing the lanyard ring but I was able to locate one and make a retaining pin to hold it in place. This is an example of a gun that is so wrong, that it just works.

I had to completely disassemble the gun, clean it, and reassemble properly to get it to work. It could not be cocked into single action and the double action trigger was approximately 2768 pounds. Now, the trigger is a dream in both single action and double.

Only issue left to deal with is the front sight is soldered on leaning slightly to the left. This causes the gun to shoot slightly high and to the right.

So I'm wondering if it's actually a 1917 Commercial frame or if it's a 2nd Model Hand Ejector, or maybe something else completely different. Anyone got an idea on what the frame actually is? It doesn't have the "Made in USA" mark on it, which leads me to think pre 1921.

The Following 5 Users Like Post: