View Single Post

Old 01-25-2015, 10:27 AM

Liked 1,195 Times in 457 Posts

NEURON;
Here is the best information available regarding your question:

Linebaugh's Custom Sixguns - Heavyweight Bullets

NOTE: Most of this information is on the Ruger large frame single actions and Red Hawks. However, the last two paragraphs cover the Smith in detail.

John is THE man regarding the heavily loaded .45 Colt. He regularly carries a Smith 25.5 and has pressure tested his loads. Reloading properly and keeping the pressure levels at a max of 25,000 psi will keep your Smith working well for your lifetime.

I do not have a Smith in .45 Colt (several in .44 Magnum). I have 10,000+ full loads through my Model 29 (8 3/8" barrel) and it is still as tight as the day I bought it. I decided that bullets in the 300 gr level should see limited use in my Smith's.

If I had a Smith in .45 Colt I would limit my use of the 25,000 psi loads to hunting and sight in. Just simply use lighter loads for general use. That way you will have the best of both worlds - a very satisfactory handgun for big game (I wouldn't hesitate to use it on Elk, as a for instance) and a nice long life for the handgun.

By the way, the original .45 Colt Black Powder load was developed for the Cavalry and would shoot through a horse at 100 yards. That is with a 260 gr bullet at 900+ fps. So, that is NOT exactly a "wimpy" load.

I have Ruger large frame single actions in .45 Colt. My choice of bullet for general use is the Mihec correct copy of the RCBS .45-270-SAA bullet (home cast from my alloy is 285 grs solid and 270 grs hollow point).

To get the best of any of these handgun loads you really need to consider casting your own bullets and reloading.

Just a thought or two...

Shoot center!
Dale53

Last edited by Dale53; 01-26-2015 at 01:22 AM.
The Following 5 Users Like Post: