View Single Post

Old 01-26-2015, 08:35 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 6,744 Times in 2,626 Posts
Default Drone Legislation?

By now, I suppose you all have seen the overblown headline about a "drone" crashing on the White House lawn.

In fact, the story seemed to say that a hobbyist accidentally dropped his two foot long remote controlled toy quad copter on the WH lawn.

This is typical media over blowing of everything these days to get ratings and to attract attention.

However, it is also about a word which implies one thing being used over and over until it takes on a new meaning.

Up until today, I never thought of a hobbyist's two foot long remote controlled toy as a "drone."

On the other hand 25 years ago, I never thought of any semi-automatic rifle, regardless of what it looked like, as an "assault weapon." Nor did I ever think of every scoped rifle as a "sniper rifle." And, I have never thought of every handgun as a criminal's "Saturday night special."

We must be careful here, or soon we will have every loony trying to register and ban all hobby planes. Will outlawing private aviation follow? It sounds implausible, but some of the things that have occurred in my lifetime, I also thought implausible on the theory that no sane person would be fooled.

Is this a "drone?"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Peptocopter drone.jpg (27.4 KB, 50 views)
The Following 2 Users Like Post: