View Single Post

Old 01-27-2015, 10:10 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 10,256 Times in 4,863 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphelion View Post
Type in whatever case works for you, of course. I appreciate your service for our country.
Ditto - thanks for your service to our country. I too did not understand your use of all caps. If it helps you, so be it!

Unlike a soldier who has to walk with his complete ammunition supply, I don't do that, so the added weight and bulk of the 7.62x39 ammo over 5.56 is not a factor for me. It is something different to shoot, and it "makes a bigger hole" (), so I enjoy the 7.62x39 and I shoot it in a couple different rifles, the AR being one, a Mini-30 being another, and the little CZ carbine being still another. From what I have seen of them, I've never wanted an AK or SKS but wouldn't quarrel with anyone who likes them.

Some years ago I shot a lot of cast bullets in a M70 Lightweight .308 set-up "Scout" rifle style. The point was to keep the expense and noise-level down a bit. After the usual case prep, I could crank the loads out pretty quickly on the Dillon 550. If I recall it was a 170-gr bullet at around 1600 f/s. The 7.62x39 should do the same thing more efficiently. I wish I could find a supply of cases with small-rifle primer pockets. I hear they are made, but I haven't had much luck with that. Ultimately, for me the 7.62x39 AR is just another gun to monkey around with.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: