View Single Post

Old 02-02-2015, 02:51 AM

Liked 413 Times in 220 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillbilly77 View Post
I have a problem that I could use some help with.

When I am working up a load, when seating the first bullet, I adjust the seating die a bit at a time until I get the right depth/COL.
Then, the very next bullet seats a few 1/1000'ths too deep.

This has happened to me with different calibers, both rifle and pistol loads.

Right now, I am working up some .44 Magnum loads.
As per my loading manual, I set the COL to 1.60". The second bullet I seated went to 1.5970. This has happened multiple times.

I find myself backing the adjustment out on the die and slowly working to the correct seating depth on each round, which seems like a waste of time.

My question is, am I doing something wrong, or does this "just happen"? Is .003" enough to worry about, or am I being too finicky?
At the risk of being a nerd, it is something that "just happened." I have the same thing happen when I am setting up for a different OAL.

This quote from the hyper physics website explains what happens when you gradually adjust that OAL on the first bullet and then the next one comes out a little short:

"...the amount of force required to move an object starting from rest is usually greater than the force required to keep it moving at constant velocity once it is started."

Simplified, when you seat that second bullet you are making one stroke all the way and it is moving into the case much more easily that the one that you seated in increments so it goes a hair further into the case because there is less friction.

It's an interesting physical phenomenon. I bet if you accelerated or slowed your pull as you seat the projectile your OAL would lengthen or shorten accordingly.

This stuff gets me all fired up:P. Fascinates me. Great website that I use often:

Force

And no that amount of variance is not bad. Well within safe limits. Props for paying attention to details buddy