View Single Post

Old 02-02-2015, 10:05 AM

Liked 296 Times in 189 Posts

I've been playing with .44 caliber lever-guns. Started with a stainless Rossi/Braztec .44mag 20" carbine. This a superb working and shooting gun that has served me well as a truck/ATV hunting gun. I've been a fan of the .44 magnum in longarms for years and this one has been just perfect!

My next two .44 lever-guns I picked-up last spring. Two .44-40 'project guns'...one an older Interarms Rossi M92 carbine with a cracked buttstock and a minor dent in the mag-tube plus a vintage M1892 Winchester sporting rifle with a badly dented mag-tube and a cracked forearm. Both fairly easy guns to repair although I did have to do some work on the Rossi .44-40's action to get it feeding smoother. Took longer to figure out what to 'smooth-up' and take it apart than it did to actually 'fix' it. These .44-40 lever-guns really sweet shooters too.

My latest .44-40 is another old original Winchester M1892 project-gun. This one a saddle-ring carbine that has been terribly used and abused. I just this weekend got it worked-over and repaired to shootability. Pleased to find that despite it's rough bore it will still shoot fair with jacketed bullets. I could fill paragraph after paragraph outlining this old gun's problems and repairs...however it's coming around.

I bought or traded for all three of my .44-40 project guns from the same guy who happens to be a Winchester accumulator. This guy has the coolest .357 mag 'truck-gun' I've seen to date! His .357 mag lever-gun is an old original Winchester he had converted to .357 magnum. I'm guessing it probably started life as a .32-20 saddle-ring carbine...
The Following User Likes This Post: