View Single Post

Old 02-06-2015, 02:35 PM

Liked 12,731 Times in 2,419 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rburg View Post
But we need to keep the terminology straight. To the best of my limited knowledge, all S&Ws go through an inspection step where every other cylinder is loaded and fired. It might be called "proof of function". And over the years I've owned and looked at a bunch of guns. Its not at all uncommon to discover the factory didn't bother to clean the gun after firing.
OK, is the "S&W fires every-other chamber" thing documented gospel, or is it one of those things that "everybody knows," but can't cite any specific documentation of such. I'm not disputing rburg. I believe it to be true myself. I recently bought a "NIB-fired only at the factory" Model 15-3. It is nickel, and in pristine condition, except it is obvious that every other chamber has been fired.

I got the gun at what I think was a good deal. I paid maybe $125 more than what I would expect to pay for a good 90% shooter grade Model 15. The box, papers, tools, and grease paper are all in great shape. Problem is, I bought it on a spur of the moment impulse. I figured I would shoot it, and if it was the only Combat Masterpiece I owned, I would. I took it out of the safe last night intending to shoot it today. Nope. Put it back and got the old battle-scarred one instead.

For now, I'm going to leave it in the safe. I might sell or trade it later, and I might end up shooting it. I am trying to accumulate some stuff, silver US coins, silver bullion coins, etc., for my daughter. I believe a pristine Model 15-3 might fit that category of "stuff that's worth something" very well.