View Single Post

Old 02-08-2015, 06:10 PM

Liked 2,074 Times in 336 Posts
Default Model 1917 back from the gunsmith

Last September I traded a 4" DAO Model 64-5 for this 1917. It was in pretty rough shape, so I decided it would provide a good opportunity to try the new gunsmith in town. All proof marks had been files off of the gun. There was so much wear that one side of the barrel was flat. The muzzle was no longer square to the bore.

Overall, I'm satisfied with the work. He took a few liberties without consulting me first. I really wish he hadn't. He said that he was going to replace the original stocks. He ended up "reconditioning" them instead. You can see the results below. The lanyard ring was added, which we also didn't discuss. I think it is a nice touch.

Other work done included re-cutting and crowning the muzzle as well as refinishing the gun.

No trigger work was done. The pull is a bit stiff, but very smooth. I can't wait to get it to the range. I also think that it makes a great companion to my Winchester Model of 1917 rifle.

I have to do something about the stocks. I'm considering reproduction stocks and maybe a Tyler T. Suggestions are more than welcome.

Here's the important part

Before:

After:

The Following 7 Users Like Post: