View Single Post

Old 02-13-2015, 12:11 PM

Liked 7,614 Times in 1,450 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35Rem View Post

I do want to ask a question, why not get a field gun and add weight for clay games? (mercury weight in the stock)
It isn't about just weight but how that weight is distributed over the length of the shotgun that matters. Just adding weight to say the butt stock changes the handling dynamics of the shotgun greatly as would just adding weight to the barrels. Adding weight to the butt will give you a gun that might point well but won't swing well. Adding weight to the barrels will make the gun start slower to swing and will stop swing slower. Depending on how the weight is distributed a gun go from feeling dead between the hands and not swing worth a darn to feeling like a lively magic wand. Even a heavy gun can feel light and lively with proper weight distribution.

We often hear and read people talk about having a gun balance right at the hinge pin. A gun can balance where it should on the hinge but still feel dead.

The makers of the very best guns go to great length when striking (shaping and tapering barrels) and hollowing stocks to give the gun a proper feel and weight distribution to match the the preferences of the shooter. These are the kind of things over looked on many low end shotguns. A shotgun shouldn't feel like swinging a two by four or point and feel stable like a rifle.

I prefer my heavier guns to feel wight neutral and balancing near the hinge pin. As my guns get lighter I tend to prefer a slightly weight forward feel which helps keep the gun swinging because light guns tend to start swinging quick and easy but if balanced neutral at the hinge pin they also stop swinging just as fast. That quick point and swing can be great for quick point and shoot shots but doesn't work for me on longer crossing shots.

Last edited by Bill Bates; 02-13-2015 at 12:17 PM.
The Following User Likes This Post: