View Single Post

Old 02-14-2015, 09:59 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 12,781 Times in 1,815 Posts

From those pictures my initial impression is that the finish is original. The star could indicate just about anything.

The one gun of mine with a star that the historical foundation could give me information on started out life Blue, was Nickeled, then the nickel removed and a Re-Blue done by the factory, along with one repair to the extractor and a tune up along with new sight installation. I suspect more has been done to it because I don't have the documents related to the sight installation yet, so more stuff could have been done to it at the factory.

All that and the only marking on it is the Star, not even a date. So your gun may have that star and date on it for something as simple as a tune up.

You have a very handsome gun, I'd be proud to own it, but I would start looking around for some more appropriate grips to put on it. I think with a set of correct stocks or even nice aged stags you will have an extremely attractive gun on your hands, that should be a real pleasure to shoot if it is anything like my 1917s.